The Fisheries Department of Kerala, governed by the Minister for Fisheries, is considered to be one of the most important productive and developmental sectors of the state. About 3 percent of the economy is attributed to Fisheries.
Department of Fisheries is established in Ist November1956. The important duties of the department is:
- Implementation of the policy of the Government of Kerala for the socio-economic development of fisher.
- Serving as agency for sustainable fishery and conservation of fish resources.
- Extension of fish culture in available water sources.
- Protect the interest of fisher folk, fish farmers, fish traders and exporters/consumers.
- Ensure disease free quality shrimp/fish seed to farmers.
- Taking steps to assist fishermen and fish farmers to get better returns.
- Implementing schemes for increasing infrastructure facilities in the coastal area.
- To develop new technologies in fisheries sector.
- Implement schemes for upgrading the educational status of the children of fishermen.
- Implement schemes for the welfare and up gradation of Fishermen community.
Smt. J. Mercykutty Amma
Minister for Fisheries and Harbour Engineering
Room No. 532
South Sandwhich Block
Tel: 0471- 2333526
Department of Fisheries and Ports
Shri. K. R. Jyothilal IAS
Room No. 394
Main Block, Secretariat
Shri. Biswanath Sinha IAS
Principal Secretary (Ports)
Room No. 264
South Block, Secretariat
Ph: 0471- 2336602, 2518444
North Block, Ground Floor,
Directorate of Fisheries
For more details please visit the link….kerala.gov.in