Disaster means a catastrophe, mishap, calamity, or grave occurrence in any area, arising from natural or manmade causes or by accident or negligence which results in substantial loss of life or human suffering or damage to, the destruction of, property, or damage to, degradation of environment, and ease of such a nature or magnitude as to be beyond the coping capacity of the community of the affected area.
You Are Free To Call Us 24 X 7 X 365
A continuous and integrated process of planning organizing, coordinating, and implementing measures are necessary for
- prevention of danger or threat of any disaster
- mitigation or reduction of risk of any disaster or its severity or consequences
- capacity building
- Preparedness to deal with any disaster
- prompt response to any threatening disaster situation or disaster
- assessing the severity of magnitude of effects of any disaster
- evacuation, rescue and relief
District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA)
District Disaster Management Authority (Thiruvananthapuram) is an institution constituted as per the National Disaster Management Act 2005 at the district level to ensure effective management and response to any disaster. The DDMA (Thiruvananthapuram) has following structure.
Nodal Departments for various Hazards
Revenue and Disaster Management: Hydro-meteorological and Geological disasters
Home: Road and rail accidents
Health and Family Welfare: Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear disasters.
Factories and Boilers Department, Department of Industries and the Industry: Industrial accidents.
Agricultural: Pest attacks
Animal Husbandry: Cattle epidemics
Water resources: Dam break
Public works: Building collapse
Forests: Forest Fire
Airport: Air accidents
Powers and functions of DDMA
The DDMA shall establish a proper chain of command system for planning coordinating and implementing schemes for effective management of disasters and organize the activities of all agencies responsible for disaster management in the district. The ICS will provide information on facilities equipments personal procedures, and communications operating within a common organizational structure, DDMA has the authority to make any necessary institutional arrangements, assign responsibilities and modify any existing administrative mechanism or procedure to effectively accomplish the specified objectives pertinent to an incident.
Powers and functions of District Authority
- The district authority can take all measures for the purpose of disaster management in the district in accordance with the guidelines laid down by NDMA and SDMA;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the national policy, state policy, National Plan, State Plan, and District Plan;
- Ensure that the areas in the district vulnerable to disasters are identified and measures for the prevention of disasters and the mitigation of its effects are undertaken by the departments of the Government at the district level as well as by the local authorities;
- Ensure that the guidelines for prevention of disasters, mitigation of its effects, preparedness and response measures as laid down by the National Authority and the State Authority are followed by the Departments of the Government at the district level and the local authorities in the district;
- Give directions to different authorities at the district level and local authorities to take such other measures for the prevention of mitigation of disasters as may be necessary;
- Lay down guidelines for prevention of disaster management plans by
- The department of the Government at the district level and local authorities in the district;
- Monitor the implementation of disaster management plans prepared by the departments of the Government at the district level.
- Lay down guidelines to be followed by the departments of the Government at the district level for purposes of integration of measures for prevention of disasters and mitigation in their development plans and projects and provides necessary technical assistance therefore;
- Monitor the implementation of measures referred to in clause.
- Review the state of capabilities for responding to any disaster or threatening disaster situation in the district and give directions to the relevant department or authorities at the district level for their up gradation as may be necessary.
- Review the preparedness measures and give directions to the concerned departments at the district level or other concerned authorities where necessary for bringing the preparedness measures to the levels required for responding effectively to any disaster or threatening disaster situation.
- Organize and coordinate specialized training programs for different levels of officers, employees and voluntary rescue workers in the district.
- Facilitate community training and awareness programs for prevention of disaster or mitigation with the support of local authorities, governmental and non-governmental organizations;
- Set up, maintain, review and upgrade the mechanism for early warnings and dissemination of proper information to public;
- Prepare, review, and update district level response plan and guidelines;
- Coordinate response to any threatening disaster situation or disaster;
- Ensure that the departments of the Government at the district level and the local authorities prepare their response plans in accordance with the district response plan;
- Lay down guidelines for, or give direction to, the concerned department of the government at the district level or any other authorities within the local limits of the district to take measures to respond effectively to any threatening disaster situation or disaster.
- Advise, assist and coordinate the activities of the departments of the Government at the district level, statutory bodies and other governmental and non-governmental organizations in the district engaged in the disaster management
- Coordinate with, and give guidelines to local authorities in the district to ensure that measures for the prevention of mitigation of threatening disaster situation or disaster in the district are carried out promptly and effectively.
- Provide necessary technical assistance or give advice to the local authorities in the district for carrying out their functions;
- Review development plans prepared by the departments of the Government at the district level, statutory authorities or local authorities with a view to make necessary provisions therein for prevention of disaster or mitigation;
- Examine the construction in any area in the district and , if it is of the opinion that the standards for the prevention of disaster or mitigation laid down for such construction is not being or has not been followed, may direct the concerned authority to take such action as may be necessary to secure compliance of such standards
- Identify buildings and places which could, in the event of any threatening disaster situation or disaster, be used as relief centers or camps and make arrangements for water supply and sanitation in such buildings or places;
- Establish stockpiles of relief and rescue materials or ensure preparedness to make such materials available at a short notice;
- Provide information to the State Authority relating to different aspects of disaster management;
- Encourage the involvement of non-governmental organizations and voluntary social welfare institutions working at the grassroots level in the district for disaster management;
- Ensure communication systems are in order, and disaster management drills are carried out periodically;
- Perform such other functions as the State Government or State Authority may assign to it or as it deems necessary for disaster management in the District.
Role of Local Authorities during disasters
- All officers concerned should ensure that all employees are trained for disaster management.
- All resources relating to disaster management are so maintained as to be readily available for use in the event of any threatening disaster situation or disaster.
- Ensure all construction, projects under it or within its jurisdiction conform to the standards and specifications laid down for prevention of disasters and mitigation by the national authority, state authority and the district authority.
- Carry out relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction activities in the affected area in accordance with the state plan and the district plan.
- The local authority may take such other measures as to be necessary for disaster management.