The Fisheries Department of Kerala, governed by the Minister for Fisheries, is considered to be one of the most important productive and developmental sectors of the state. About 3 percent of the economy is attributed to Fisheries.
Department of Fisheries is established in Ist November1956. The important duties of the department is:
- Implementation of the policy of the Government of Kerala for the socio-economic development of fisher.
- Serving as agency for sustainable fishery and conservation of fish resources.
- Extension of fish culture in available water sources.
- Protect the interest of fisher folk, fish farmers, fish traders and exporters/consumers.
- Ensure disease free quality shrimp/fish seed to farmers.
- Taking steps to assist fishermen and fish farmers to get better returns.
- Implementing schemes for increasing infrastructure facilities in the coastal area.
- To develop new technologies in fisheries sector.
- Implement schemes for upgrading the educational status of the children of fishermen.
- Implement schemes for the welfare and up gradation of Fishermen community.
|Minister for Fisheries and Harbour Engineering||
Room No. 532
South Sandwhich Block
Tel: 0471- 2333526
Department of Fisheries and Ports
Room No. 394
Main Block, Secretariat
|Principal Secretary (Ports)||
Room No. 264
South Block, Secretariat
Ph: 0471- 2336602, 2518444
North Block, Ground Floor,
Directorate of Fisheries
For more details please visit the link….kerala.gov.in