Thiruvananthapuram Museums & Zoo owe its orgin to the joint efforts of Mr. J.A. Brown, former Director of Thiruvananthapuram Observatory, and General Cullen, a former British Resident. A committee was formed in 1855 with the Maharaja of Travancore as patron, General Cullen as President, the Elaya Raja as Vice President and Mr. Allen Brown as Secretary of the Committee and the Director of Museum.
This Museum was thrown open to the public in September 1857. But the Museum by itself could not attract the people much, and therefore a Zoo and a Park known as public gardens were started in 1859. By 1880, a new building designed by Robert Chisholm, Architect to the Governor of Madras, was constructed and the Museum was shifted to the present architectural beauty
The Thiruvananthapuram Zoo and Museums Complex was initially established as to provide a means of recreation for the public. The Thiruvananthapuram Zoo and Museums Complex, situated in 55 acres of land, right in the heart of Thiruvananthapura City
How to Reach:
Nearest airport is Thiruvanathapuram (5.7 Km)
Railway Station Thiruvanathapuram (3km)
KSRTC, Thiruvanathapuram (3km)